11 April 2009

CYCLING NEPAL - Lumbini to Katmandu

24th Match
Gorakhpur, India - Bhairawa, Nepal

After a good breakfast of Poori and curry veg I set off on my last leg in India. High time as well, seeing that I’ve been there more than 6 months. The border crossing at Sunauli was ever so chaotic, but as everything in India, it’s working chaos, and appeared to be working just fine. On the Napali side I got a 1-month visa for $40 (a 3-month visa was $100, and I did not have enough money on me). 4km Further north was the small village of Bhairawa, where I found a room in the Mt Everest Hotel. What a surprise!! The room was clean!! There was even a shower (instead of just a bucket) and the water was warm!

I took a walk to the ATM to get some Nepalese money and a new sim card for my phone. What a rigmarole that was! Fingerprinted and all! At last, I got the sim, but once in my room I discovered that, although it seems to be working, I could not send any SMS messages.

25th March
Bhairawa – Lumbini

After breakfast I tried again to get my phone fixed, but to no avail (language is also a bit of a problem). As Lumbini (the birthplace of Buddha) was just a short ride away, I decided to make the deviation and see what it entails. What a pleasant surprise Lumbini was! One would think that the birthplace of Buddha, and a major pilgrimage place, would be a hectic town. Instead, it was one of the most peaceful pilgrimage sites I have visited. The area has been declared a world heritage site and is more of a peace park than anything else.

26th March
Lumbini – Butwal

The road was still flat, hot and dusty and so was the town of Butwal. Butwal sits at a major junction so I decided to stay and make up my mind which way to go. I could go north, but once I laid eyes on what is known as the “hills”, I decided to go east past the Chitwan National Park. I was only delaying the inevitable, as eventually I would have to cross the hills to get to Katmandu.

I also needed a room where I could charge my many electrical devices, as the power in Nepal seems to be even more erratic that in India. They have 16 hours of no electricity a day! The times vary from day to day, and town to town, but the previous two nights the power came on from 24h00 to 06h00!! Who needs that!

27th March
Butwal – Narayangarh

It’s 2 years on the road today. I wonder how many people have actually cycled from Cape Town to Nepal; it will be interesting to know.

I was ready to leave at my normal time (around 8h30) but there was a strike going on as well as a curfew. Tires were burning in the road and there were loads of police around. Eventually I left at around 10h30. I had the road all to myself, what a pleasure! Due to the strike, no vehicles were allowed on the road, so it was only pedestrians and bicycles. About 30km from Butwal I had my first taste of the “hills”, the road just kept going up and up for the next 15km, but where there’s an up there’s normally a down on the other side. I reached Narayangarh and was happy to find a room right on the road, The Royal Rest House. It was not so Royal but it had a generator and an outside window.

I ordered food from the restaurant and received two full meals! What were they thinking? (Usually that happens when there are 2 of us, and only one orders food).

28th March
Narayangarh – Sauraha

I short ride again to Royal Chitwan National park. Even although this is the main highway in Nepal, road signs are non-existent, to such an extent that I went past the turnoff twice! In Sauraha, the village just outside the park, I found loads of accommodation. Most of it was really nice, with cottages set in a nice garden area. Due to the political unrest, tourist numbers have not yet returned in full to this part of Nepal, so one could pick and choose the best place. Big discounts were also on offer at most places and so I found a really nice cottage opposite the park entrance for Rp 300.

The rest of the town is rather touristy and priced far higher than I had expected, Nepal is actually more expensive than India and my money is not lasting. Many things, I’ve noticed, are imported form India.

Elephants are a common sight so close to the park and one can see “pahits” (a person who works with the same elephant all this life) walking their elephants between the park and the river. Every day the elephants are bathed in the river.

29th March

What a great day I had! First, I took an elephant safari into the park. What a way to see the park! The deer and other animals seemed unperturbed by the elephants strolling around. There was just time for a bite to eat and as the permit for the park is valid for the whole day I took a canoe ride down the river for about an hour and then walked back, which took about 3 hours. It was great to be in nature and although there was not a lot of wildlife to be spotted, it was great just to walk in the jungle. I did however see plenty of bird life, some deer and the famous march mugger and some rhinos. In South Africa, a walk in a nature reserve definitely entails a guide with a gun, but here the guides were only armed with a stick! I just hoped that we would not run into any tigers or other dangerous animals.

That evening, back at my room, I was lucky to observe a local tribal dance, which was held for a group of guests staying at the same resort.

30th March
Sauraha – Royal Beach Camp

What a day! At last, it felt that I was in real Nepal. I cycled along with high mountains in the foreground, along a river gorge with teahouses clinging to the cliff side and prayer flags blowing in the wind. At Mugling, I turned right towards Katmandu, and once again followed the river. The road was everything but flat, but I did not really gain any height as it was mostly up and down. I followed the road, until I spotted a river rafting camp with a beautiful setting and beach huts. Right there and then I decided to stay with them for the night and what a good choice it was. We sat around, had a beer and some food and just chilled out.

31 March
Royal Beach Camp – Kathmandu

I was informed that I had a 1500m climb ahead of me, so after a good breakfast of the most delicious pancakes I set off. They were not wrong. The day mostly climbed up the mountainside (still next to the river) but most of the altitude gain was in a short stretch of about 10 – 15km. A zigzag path led up the mountain and one could see the trucks snaking way up the mountainside. Not something, I wanted to see. I switched to my smallest gear and put my head down. Eventually I reached the top and then had a long downhill ride into Kathmandu. Unfortunately, it started bucketing down so by the time I got to central Katmandu I was freezing and soaked to the bone. I took the first hotel I could find and settled in. There was no way I was going to look for the tourist suburb of Thamel in peak hour traffic and in the pouring rain. That could wait for the next morning.

The next morning I discovered that I was actually in Thamel, so I just moved to a cheaper room. Thamel is very touristy, with loads of accommodation, souvenir shops, and trekking/adventure businesses lining the narrow alleys. I also met up with Ernest who’d arrived in Katmandu ahead of me after taking a shortcut over the mountains from the Indian border (he never received his spares in Patna, after waiting there for 2 days – he did, however, find a replacement for his broken axle here in Kathmandu). That night we went out on the town to some of the places I used to frequent when I was here in Kathmandu during my trekking expedition to Anapurna.


loafer said...

Welcome to Nepal...and hats off to the adventurous spirit that makes you go around the world...people just don't realize the enlightenment that comes to you when you venture on unknown realms alone...

taiseer said...

Get Your visa renewal done in less than 3 hours us visa renewal for getting your visa from the time you make your embassy payment. payment after processing your application. we deal with american USA visa renewal services in India mainly in Hyderabad Delhi Mumbai Chennai kolkata.